Apply for funding
Childhood will only accept applications for continuations this project round. The next deadline for new project proposals is October 15.
For pilot projects, please contact responsible program manager.
If you would like to work to prevent violence and sexual abuse of children and your idea meets the criteria presented below, you are eligible to apply for a grant from Childhood.
Carefully review our eligibility criteria and priorities before contacting Childhood.
Deadlines for applications are April 15 and October 15.
Please note that Childhood does not accept applications from organizations with whom it has not met or for projects that do not meet its criteria.
Eligibility criteria for Childhood funding
- Projects targeting one or more of the following:
- Child safe travelling and tourism
- Child safety online
- Protective family environment
- Child friendly social and legal response to abuse
- Projects implemented by a local NGO in one of the following countries: Belarus, Cambodia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Nepal, Poland, Russia, Sweden, South Africa, Thailand and Ukraine.For projects implemented in Brazil, Germany or the USA please apply here Childhood Brasilien, Childhood Tyskland, Childhood USA.
- Preventive measures targeted towards at-risk children
- New models and innovative approaches of work with the target groups
- Projects that take into account child participation
- Projects that take into account children’s right to play.
Childhood does not support:
- Organizations which we have not visited
- Organizations which discriminate, in policy or in practice, on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, physical disability or sexual orientation
- Organizations which promote religious beliefs
- Pure advocacy or research projects
- Lobbying or political campaigns
- Individual applicants
- Emergency or disaster relief
- Land acquisition or construction of new buildings
- Programs which address specific disabilities, chronic diseases or conditions.
Prior visit from Childhood staff is required before submitting an application. For more information on how to invite Childhood to your organization, please contact the Childhood program manager for your country.
Submit your application. Deadlines for applications are April 15 and October 15 each year (please see websites for Childhood Brazil, Germany and USA for deadlines in respective country).
- Confirm that your organization is eligible to apply for funding according to the Eligibility criteria liststated above.
- Download the files “Application Form” and ”Budget”.
- Fill in the Application Form in English and save as a Word document.
- Fill in the Budget document in EUR or USD or SEK and save it as an Excel document. The budget document contains a tab page with guidelines.
- E-mail all completed documents (and possible appendixes) to Britta Holmberg, Project Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make sure you receive a confirmation from Childhood. We have difficulties in sending and receiving e-mails from addresses ending with .ru – if you have such an address, please try using another address.
- Application form
- Application form, continuation of ongoing projects
- Budget form
- Guidelines for project reports
Assessment. During assessment, Childhood’s country managers contact the applying organizations to clarify any questions. An advisory board consisting of independent experts in Child Development, Child Rights and International Development reviews all proposals and gives a recommendation to the Board of Directors. References are taken from other donors and stakeholders.
Decision making. A decision is made by Childhood’s Board of Directors in mid June respectively mid December.
Grant periods and reporting. Project periods start from July 1st or January 1st. Childhood usually approves one-year grants with possibilities to extend the project period up to a maximum of six years. Childhood requires quarterly financial reports and semi-annual narrative reports as well as a Financial Audit Report for each grant period.
Small grants. Organizations that wish to implement a smaller pilot project are welcome to submit applications for small grants (i.e. up to 20 000 USD). All applicants must follow the criteria for Childhood funding. Applications for small grants are accepted throughout the year. The grant period is 12 months. For further information, please contact the responsible program manager.